In this episode, we will be digging deeper into the concept of perfectionism. Many times we struggle with perfectionism and don’t even know it. Additionally, many of our client suffer from it as well. If you struggle with being perfect all the time, or have suffered from being held under the microscope of perfect, then this episode is for you.
“It is the belief that when we do things perfectly, and look perfect we can minimize and avoid the pain of blame, judgement, and shame. Perfectionism is a 20 ton shield that we lug around thinking it will protect us, when in fact it’s the thing that prevents us from being seen.” – Brené Brown, Daring Greatly
- Perfectionism is about perception, and there is no way that you can control perception no matter how much energy you put into it.
- Know the difference between Daring Leadership vs Armored Leadership.
- Have conversations about perfectionism with your teams and clients.
- Teams that are willing to have a conversation about perfectionism will move very far in the effort to combat it
- Practice mindfulness every day to diminish the hold that perfection has on you.
- Practice characteristics like trust, innovation, creativity, accountability.
Links & Resources
Brené Brown – Daring Greatly
Self-Compassion Test – Dr. Kristin Neff
Episode 15 – Dropping Perfectionism in Pursuit of Progress
Check out the Book Club Page for the latest book!
Thank you for listening!
It was a pleasure having you listen to this episode. I would love to hear your stories of how you overcome perfectionism. Continue the conversation in the comments so that we can learn from each other. Send in a voice message about this episode.
P.S. Check out the lesson that I re-learned about perfection in this blog post.
Looking for other ways to enjoy this podcast? Listen on Spotify or Subscribe on Itunes!